Friday, August 22, 2008

Day One (Aug 18th)

Mom and I went out from 5 Skidmore Place and arrived at the ULAE building at 8:00 AM. Turns out that this was way early, but hey! Better early than late. Usually, work starts at 8:30 AM. Just FYI.

Anyway, that was where I met Noelle, and she kindly showed me and my mom around. Noelle helps out with a lot of the printing at the ULAE. The thing about Noelle is that she knows everything that's going on, and she's super-nice about it, so whenever I need something to do I go find her.

After that, I met Marie, and we made coffee. Marie also knows everything, and she's also really nice. At the end of the day, she gave me her number in case I got in trouble.

I was immediately put to work on the Rauschenberg Lotus series with Jason, a printer. These are digital prints that are later soaked and run through an intaglio printing press. They're huuuge. I like the imagery on these. I think even if I didn't like the imagery, I eventually would, because I have to look at it over and over and over again. Oh man. I could write five essays about the Lotus series by the time they're fully printed.

Oh! And Jason's really cool. Every time I ask a question, I not only get an answer, but also details and a little history. And I ask a lot of questions, I think, so it's really good of him to explain everything so well.

I also made friends with the staple gun, despite its LOUDNESS AAARGH, and hope to get faster at it so I can help out more.

Mom made peanut butter cookies as a good-luck gift. There's more dough in the freezer, too, so I can bake a few myself. Aww, thanks Mom.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lotus 7 and Lotus 4 are my favorites. Tell everyone I say Hello!

McThrill said...

Mom's peanut butter cookies are pretty good, I've got to say you've got excellent taste in cookies. And that's great that you're already making friends so early on! I want to meet this staple gun at some point.