Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Sunday morning I visited a really nice Non-denominational church called Morning Star New York. It is at 50th between 10th and 11th.
It is really close to MoMA so I walked over after the service. I ate at a cute little restaurant called Vynl, at around 9th and 50th. It had a disco theme with old album covers for menu covers. There were disco balls and beads hanging from the ceiling. The food was really good and it was only around 10 dollars to eat there.

At MoMA I saw two exhibits. One is the Pipilotti Rist: Pour Your Body Out. You take off your shoes and lie down on a lavender couch and watch a giant movie on three walls. The images have a kaleidoscope effect in the corners. The film flows from images of flowers, to fruit, to mud, to feet, to fruit squishing between toes, to a naked lady crawling in the grass, to a pig eating an apple, to the lady eating an apple, just like the pig, to the lady stuffing flower petals in another lady’s nose. I have to say it made me laugh out loud several times.

The second exhibit I saw was the Marlene Dumas exhibit, Measuring Your Own Grave. It was a collection of her works which are portraits. The artist did recordings for the exhibit, and I liked hearing her perspective on the work. According to Dumas’ exhibit recording, she believes that “Making art is like measuring your own grave.” Canvases are like coffins and figures struggle with the fact that they are images in a painting. She said, “They never breath so well in their painterly space.” I think my favorite part of the exhibit is a wall of portraits she did called Models. The wall was full of small black and white paintings, made of ink or chalk. They were painted very quickly with just a few loose brush strokes. Most of the figures look right at the viewer, but a few look across, as if seeing one of the other models. Each drawing stands alone and yet having the wall full of faces makes an interesting repeating pattern.

After the exhibit I decided to walk to Penn Station to catch the train home. It was snowing, but not that cold out. I headed to a place I learned about at Tripadvisor.com called The Perfect Pint. I am keeping my eye out for places with good food that are not too expensive. This was an Irish pub, and everyone had an accent. I don’t know if they were genuine, but they were good. I could hardly understand my waiter. I got the crab cake appetizer, which was very good. I think an average meal here is about 15 dollars.

Next I continued my walk to Penn Station. I began walking toward 7th and suddenly stepped out into Times Square. It was a giddy feeling to look up and see all those lights on every side. I realized that I should walk more often since you miss a lot when you ride the subway. (Not being 10 degrees out helped that night.)

No comments: