Monday, September 22, 2008

Weekend in Brooklyn

Turns out a lot of things are free on the weekend!

Anastasia, Jamie, and I (Tomas was working in his architectural firm) went exploring. The botanical gardens had free entry, so we went and looked at koi, trees, grass, more trees, and roses. Plus trees. So pretty. I love parks, and we all talked about Theta Pond and things around campus at OSU. My new friends are from Oklahoma, too, so that was pretty nice. I was suffering a bad case of homesickness and that conversation really helped me get over it.

We also went to the Farmer's Market near the library, and what a library. Practically a pantheon of a building. So the Farmer's Market was pretty fun, but I wasn't sure how fresh some of the food would be if I dragged it around all day and brought it home on the train. I didn't buy anything.

I did buy myself brunch at Tom's Restaurant--yes, the one of 'I am sitting in a corner' song fame--and I highly recommend it. Mostly I'm a fan of the lime butter on top of the mango pancakes.

We window-shopped and ducked in and out of this massive garage-sale and looked at vintage furniture and went into random shops. I found these adorable cards to send to a pair of lucky people on their birthdays. I will post them on the blog once I've given them away, so as not to spoil the surprise.

There was an ethnic supermarket as well. I liked how they had a huge variety of olives and toothpicks available to sample each olive type. Some of the olives were revolting, while others were delicious.

We ate blueberry frozen yoghurt at a place called the YogoMonster. Good yoghurt, really strong flavor.

After that we watched a silly action movie at the apartment, and then I went home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No blogs in 3 months?!