Monday, September 22, 2008

Renting a Car in West Islip is Awkward

Long Version of Below Story:
Avis, Budget, and other such car companies won't let you rent a car for four months unless you put a down payment for the first month, which will easily top a thousand dollars.

My particular insurance covers me to rent a car even though I'm under 25, and if you don't have that, then there's an additional daily fee slapped onto the original fee. TURNS OUT that my credit card, which I solely acquired for renting a card, has a limit that is too low for the one-month fee.

And I can't bump up that limit until the card is six months old. Nobody told me this at the outset, so I'm writing it here. Not a complaint, but more of...a call for awareness, I guess? Like, I understand that protocols like that exist for a reason, but this is the kind of thing that nobody tells you about until it's too late to do anything about it.


Short Version of Above Story:
Rent a car in West Islip? It's a mucky, stupid, horrible mess. Don't do it.


If you MUST rent a car, don't do so at the airport. If you go to a rental car place around town, you can apparently get a better deal. What's fishy is that some of the folks at the rental car place in the airport actually recommended going to a rental place in town.

Whatever. I'm looking into shipping a car that I already own out here. I had to fly due to time constraints. Erff. Hopefully my dilemma will help out future interns, though.

Also! If you have problems getting to work, everyone's very okay with helping you get there. As soon as Marie knew about my predicament, she asked Noelle to give me a ride and it was very kind of both of them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great Information! I’m the author of “How to Save Big Money on Car Rentals”. So many times issues like this arise when I’m doing a radio interview or responding to my emails. If anyone would like to download my FREE document which will protect you with every car rental, visit: MyRentalCarSecrets.com. Also, any company that would like to purchase this “money saving guide” in bulk to use in their marketing, just contact me from the website. Cheers and Safe Car Rentals!