Monday, September 7, 2009

Hali Linn's turn

We arrived at Skidmore the 17th of August and it's taken me nearly a month to get to the blog. For this delay, I apologize to the reader. I feel an introduction would be prudent.
My name is Hali Linn; I'm from Bartlesville, Oklahoma, that's about an hour and a half away from OSU; I'm a painter and a sculptor. That's enough. Now you will know who will be writing the blogs this fall.

Helpful hints for the next intern.
Read the blogs. Read all the blogs. (It won't take you that long). Do this and you will be prepared for everything- car options, how to get into the city, quirks about the house, restaurants, ideas about what an intern does at ULAE, etc, etc. So I will spare the next intern the repetition. Although I will say it is helpful to bring a car and a laptop; without these I would never leave the house, except to go into the city. Also, bring a compass. I know it sounds really boyscoutish, but it is really helpful when you're traveling by foot, and in the car, for that matter (my car has a digital compass, aren't I lucky). Also, lunch with the last intern is about as helpful as you can get, thanks Emily!

So far, my experience has been really great here. I like New York and out here on Long Island, I feel like you get the best of both worlds; the big city is close, and you get the small town feel. I love how the towns are so close together. You can start driving and hit town after town, one after the other. There's no space in between. You can't do that in Oklahoma. This makes for interesting bike routes, a great way to find different stores and restaurants, FYI. Oh, and the beaches are just a short drive away, again, not exactly like Oklahoma. Bill and Frank have worked tirelessly to get me a new bed and I say with a grin to the next intern, you should be grateful for their efforts, just as much as the old interns are jealous. Everyone at ULAE is extremely nice and welcoming. Marie is really sweet and helpful. Jill is great too, and has the nicest Long Island accent I've heard. The printers, Bruce, Jason and Brian are really informative, friendly and always in good spirits. Ask them anything. They will oblige. Frank is the handyman, and he likes it that way. Act extra nice around him, and he may smile! And Bill has been really nice as well. He has the authority of a New Yorker, but the nature of an Okie.

Well, I've wandered around the city a few times, first with my family while they were here and then by myself. I have found the greatest vegan restaurant, Soy and Sake on 7th and Bleeker in Greenwich Village. It's very strange though, it has lots of fake meat dishes. While the fact that I can order anything on the menu is thrilling, it is an odd feeling that the menu is full of chicken, pork, beef, shrimp, etc. when I chose not to eat meat in the first place. I didn't do it so I could pretend to eat meat. Anyway, it was delicious. The sake was tasty too.

The museums are fantastic. I have been all over Italy, Paris, London, Chicago, Houston, I've seen so many museums and galleries, but nowhere have I seen such an abundance of art as in New York City. I haven't even seen it all yet and I doubt I will get to! But it's all right here. It is the most amazing opportunity to be here and I am very grateful.

I have learned a lot already and even though the work is a bit slow right now, I am excited to learn more. It's a different kind of work, the studio is a unique one, to say the least. But again, the people are fun and ready to share knowledge.

I was going to go to the Whitney Museum this last weekend, but the death of a close friend in a car accident brought me to San Antonio, Texas instead. I got to spend a little time with my family and hers, which helped, but I am suddenly very aware of my seclusion as I settle back in to Skidmore. Although, it must be said that before I left, this house was a little creepy. The black windows, distant creaks and swaying doors can make you jump. But now that I have come back after a long and painful weekend, the house seems a little more familiar and a little more like home. Next week Mauro, my boyfriend, is coming and I can't wait to show him the city (Little Italy better be ready to impress a hungry Italian), the beaches, work (he will be impressed by all the presses!), and my new found ability to drive in dense traffic. That's all for now.

2 comments:

Elaina said...

Hali!! New bed?! Lucky.... I'm glad you're settling in up there, I think you'll have a great time. Skidmore will definitely grow on you. But it's still creepy going to get your laundry late at night in the dark. Take care and email us if you have any questions/want any advice. Later!

Emily Kern said...

Hi Hali, I'm glad you are having a good time, I knew you would fit right in to ULAE and Skidmore. Don't forget to check out the auctions at Christys and Sothebys, I hear it is a once in lifetime opportunity to see amazing work that only comes to the surface for public viewing every 50 or 100 years. Also, Chinatown has started to take over Little Italy so there isn't much left but it's still worth a visit. I can't wait to hear more about your time in NY, enjoy it!