Thursday, February 26, 2009

Last Saturday in the city was beautiful, even if it was a bit cold. I went on a photo walkabout in Greenwich Village. The tour guide, Lora, was great and taught me how to use the manual mode on my camera. I had not learned to do that yet. She showed us where the exterior of The Cosby Show was filmed, Friends, and other well known sites, like the house used in the Will Smith movie I Legend. It was one of the most fun things I have done so far. Greenwich Village is interesting to walk through with loads of variety packed into a small area. The tour group meet at Father Demo Square. This movie theater is right there, just to the north.

This famous arch is in Washington Square, right across the street from the house used in I Am Legend. Our tour guide said Will Smith was a really nice guy and during the filming he climbed aboard a tour bus to say hello to everyone. The park is under construction now so parts of it are inaccessible. The squirrel came right up to me. I think he was certainly expecting a hand out.

There is a street with a row of exotic stores with brightly colored fabrics and apparel. The beautiful owner allowed me to photograph the interior. There were lots of beads and jewelry.

After the tour I ate at a really nice restaurant called North Square at the Northwest corner of Washington Square. It was a brunch with wonderful baby pancakes with walnuts, eggs, apple sausage, home fries and this scrumptious cranberry bread. It was intimate and comfortable and moderately priced.

Next, I walked over to the 6 train and went up to the Armory to see the Art Dealer's Association "The Art Show." I was up close and looking at a Renoir and could have bought it, if only I had enough money. The show was great and the building is beautiful with stained glass windows, deep wood paneling, and a grand staircase. The show had calla lilies placed around on pedestals and an elegant feeling. My favorite booth had works of Picasso, Leger, and Henry Moore. The girl stayed in that position for hours. I am not sure how they did it, but she was good. I never saw her blink.

Finally I walked down to the southeastern edge of Central Park and took more pictures of the people and the evening. This was a lovely day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

AHA here is the comments.

Laurie

Anonymous said...

Wonderful pictures. Thank you for sharing.

Lee Ann

Anonymous said...

OK. Ready for an update for this week, especially snow pictures. Did you lay off work, or slog to the train in the snow? Tell.
Laurie